Advisory Examinations

Entering Doctor of Musical Arts students must take two School of Music advisory examinations—one in music history and one in music theory. These examinations are given on the Friday and Saturday preceding the opening of classes.

Ensemble Participation

Students in the performance and pedagogy tracks of all graduate programs are required to complete four semesters of major ensemble participation. Students normally enroll in major ensemble participation during consecutive semesters beginning early in their degree work, to ensure completion of the major ensemble requirements in a timely manner. Ensemble assignments are made at the discretion of the major teacher and ensemble director.

Major ensembles are as follows.

MUS:3160Symphony Band/Concert Band1
MUS:3172Camerata Singers1
MUS:3174University Choir1

Keyboard majors may substitute piano accompaniment for major ensemble participation, at their major applied teacher's discretion. Theory, composition, music education, and music therapy majors have no major ensemble requirement.

Any student who wants to request adjustment of this requirement must submit a request in writing to a review committee consisting of the major ensemble director(s) involved, the major teacher, and the School of Music associate director for graduate studies.

The Doctor of Musical Arts requires a minimum of 72 s.h. of graduate credit. Students must maintain a g.p.a. of at least 3.00 to earn the degree. The D.M.A. is offered with two concentrations—conducting, and performance and pedagogy. Requirements for the D.M.A. are the same as for the Ph.D. (see the Ph.D. in music in the Catalog), except D.M.A. students also complete these courses: MUS:7900 D.M.A. Recital, MUS:7970 D.M.A. Essay (instead of the Ph.D. thesis), and MUS:7140 Seminar in Music Research.

At the performance area's discretion, a concerto performance with orchestra or other appropriate ensemble from the School of Music may be substituted for one of the recitals. Some performance areas allow one or more lecture recitals, with faculty approval. Singers may substitute one major opera role or one major solo contribution to an orchestra performance for one of their recitals. 

For more information, contact the School of Music.

Applicants must audition and/or submit supporting materials in their area of concentration in order to be considered for admission. Information about Graduate College admission and curriculum requirements for each area in the School of Music is available from the school's academic office or on the School of Music website.

For detailed information about Graduate College admission and policies, see the Manual of Rules and Regulations of the Graduate College on the Graduate College website.

Qualified graduate students may be nominated for teaching and research assistantships. Inquiries should be directed to the head faculty member in the applicant's area of interest.

The Pomerantz Career Center offers multiple resources to help students find internships and jobs.