- Acquisition of the highest level of knowledge and skills in performance that will prepare students for careers in performance or academia.
- Advanced competencies in repertoire, historical understanding, performance practice, and overall musicianship.
- Acquisition of knowledge and skills at the highest professional level in all facets and modes of performance within the student's area of study.
- Learning of effective approaches to pedagogy in the student's area of study.
- Knowledge and skills in one or more fields of music outside the student's area of study, such as theory, musicology, performance, composition, etc.