The Creative Writing Program offers an MFA degree.
Occasionally well-qualified PhD students in the Department of English may obtain permission to submit a creative dissertation for the doctoral degree; the Creative Writing Program assumes responsibility for granting permission for the option of the creative dissertation and for approving the dissertation once it is completed. Contact the director of graduate studies in the Department of English for more information.
- develop expertise in the art of writing through practical, immersive engagement with techniques and principles of craft in fiction or poetry;
- build deep knowledge and broad appreciation of the literary landscape through immersive engagement with diverse literary traditions;
- gain practical experience teaching literature, rhetoric, and/or creative writing at the college level;
- create and revise a significant body of top-level creative work in fiction or poetry;
- develop a strong individual artistic vision; and
- gain exposure to a wide range of career options in both academic and non-academic literary disciplines.