Distance and Online Education (DOE) increases access to the services and resources at the University of Iowa. In partnership with the University's colleges and departments, DOE provides high-quality credit course work, degrees, and certificate programs to traditional and nontraditional learners. Using a variety of locations, schedules, and technologies, DOE helps provide a University of Iowa learning environment beyond the physical borders of campus. In addition, many on campus students enjoy the flexibility that online course work affords them. Courses offered through University College are taught by University of Iowa faculty and staff members.
There are nine undergraduate degrees, twelve graduate degrees, seven undergraduate certificates, and eleven graduate certificates available either online or on location in Iowa. DOE has offered 617 online or on location courses during the academic year.
A list of all degrees and certificate programs is provided below. For additional information on a particular program, see the program finder on the DOE website.
Programs of Study Online or on Location in Iowa
- Bachelor of Applied Studies
- B.A. in Enterprise Leadership
- B.A. in Political Science
- B.A. in Social Work
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Liberal Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN-B.S.N. for registered nurses)
- B.S. in Radiation Sciences (radiation therapy)
- B.S. in Sport and Recreation Management
- Aging and Longevity Studies
- Entrepreneurial Management
- Interscholastic Athletic/Activities Administration
- Leadership Studies
- Museum Studies
- Nonprofit Management
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- M.A. in Educational Policy and Leadership Studies (educational leadership)
- M.A. in Psychological and Quantitative Foundations (educational measurement and statistics)
- M.A. in Psychological and Quantitative Foundations (learning sciences)
- M.A. in Strategic Communication
- M.A. in Teaching and Learning (teaching, leadership, and cultural competency)
- Master of Business Administration (executive, professional, Hong Kong)
- Master of Health Administration (executive)
- M.S. in Business Analytics (professional)
- Master of Science in Nursing
- M.S. in Teaching and Learning (STEM education)
- Master of Social Work
- Aging and Longevity Studies
- Business Analytics
- Health Systems
- Healthcare Management
- Online Teaching
- Public Health
Distance and Online Education also partners with the state of Iowa’s Regents Resource Centers located in Council Bluffs, Des Moines, Sioux City, and Milford. The primary goal of the resource centers is to increase access to high-quality undergraduate and graduate program opportunities online and on location to students in the region where they live. Other community partnerships have been created further benefiting Iowans.
Southwest Iowa Regents Resource Center
Director: Michael Hero
This center is located in Council Bluffs, Iowa, on the Southwestern Iowa Community College campus.
Northwest Iowa Regents Resource Center
Director: Steve Warnstadt
This center is located in Sioux City, Iowa, on the Western Iowa Tech Community College campus.
Iowa Lakeside Laboratory and Regents Resource Center
Executive Director: Mary P. Skopec
This center is located near Milford, Iowa, on scenic West Okoboji Lake on Little Miller’s Bay.
Iowa Lakeside Laboratory is a field station run cooperatively by the University of Iowa, Iowa State University, and the University of Northern Iowa, and administered by the University of Iowa. The laboratory offers summer courses and research opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students. Courses focus on the ecology, taxonomy, and conservation of northern plains animals, plants, microorganisms, and ecosystems.
Des Moines Programs
Director: Tom W. Rice
Located at both the Iowa Center for Higher Education and the John and Mary Pappajohn Educational Center in Des Moines, the University of Iowa offers on location course work to Iowans at these centers.
The John and Mary Pappajohn Education Center (JMPEC) is located in downtown Des Moines, Iowa, close to many corporate businesses and government offices making it an idea place for working adults who want to further their education with a graduate degree.
The Iowa Center for Higher Education is located on Fleur Drive at the former AIB College of Business. The center offers undergraduate areas of stu