The undergraduate minor in Spanish requires a minimum of 18 s.h. in Spanish courses, including at least 15 s.h. in Department of Spanish and Portuguese courses at the University of Iowa numbered SPAN:2000-SPAN:4998. At least 6 s.h. must be numbered SPAN:3000-SPAN:4998. Students must maintain a g.p.a. of at least 2.00 in all courses for the minor and in all UI courses for the minor. Course work in the minor may not be taken pass/nonpass.

Students can count course work toward the minor in study abroad programs that earn University of Iowa resident credit. At least one course for the minor must be a literature, culture, or Hispanic linguistics course.

Students can apply one University of Iowa course taught in English toward the minor (see "Spanish Courses Taught in English" below), but all other courses for the minor must be taught in Spanish, including study abroad courses.

In consultation with their advisor, students also may choose to count 3 s.h. toward their Spanish minor from:

course work in Spanish at the University of Iowa below the major level (such as SPAN:1502 Intermediate Spanish II); or

transfer credit approved by the department, including credit from study abroad programs sponsored by other universities; or

Advanced Placement Program (AP) Spanish Language and Culture or Literature and Culture exams with a score of 4 or higher; or

incentive credit earned from the Furthering Language Incentive Program (FLIP).  

Spanish Courses Taught in English

SPAN:2050Spanish in the U.S.3
SPAN:2280Introduction to Latina/o Studies3
SPAN:2700Introduction to Latin American Studies3
SPAN:2850Brazilian Narrative in Translation3
SPAN:3190Psycholinguistic Aspects of Bilingualism3-4
SPAN:3295Topics in Film and Culture3
SPAN:3440Topics in Latino/a Literature and Culture3
SPAN:3850Topics in Cultural Studies3
SPAN:4810Topics in Latin American Cinema3
SPAN:4820Latino/a Popular Culture3
SPAN:4900Latin American Studies Seminar3
SPAN:4925Topics in Film Narrative3

Study Abroad

The department participates in study abroad programs in Spain and Latin America; most of these programs offer both summer and semester or yearlong programs. The programs in Spain include the Board of Regents Hispanic Institute program in Valladolid (summer only); USAC (University Studies Abroad Consortium) programs in Alicante, Bilbao, Madrid, and San Sebastián; and CIEE programs in Alcalá de Henares, Alicante, Barcelona, Madrid, Palma de Mallorca, and Seville.

The programs in Latin America include USAC programs in Chile (Santiago) and Costa Rica (Heredia, Puntarenas, and San Ramón); CIEE programs in Argentina (Buenos Aires), Chile (Santiago and Valparaíso), Dominican Republic (Santiago), Mexico (Guanajuato), and Peru (Lima). They also include the CIC Latin America Health, Nutrition, and Environmental Issues Program in Santiago, Dominican Republic. For information about other international study programs in Spanish, contact International Programs Study Abroad.

Participation in a number of different programs allows the department to offer study abroad opportunities that take into account a variety of student interests and needs. Credit earned in these or other study abroad programs may be applied toward the requirements for the Spanish minor. The amount of credit that may be accepted varies according to the program.

Interested students should contact the department's study abroad advisor. Credit earned in study abroad programs other than those listed above counts as transfer credit and is subject to the 3 s.h. maximum allowed for the minor.

Teacher Licensure

Students who plan to use their work toward a minor in Spanish as academic background for earning teacher licensure should contact the College of Education's Office of Student Services about requirements.