Advisory Examinations

Before they register, entering Doctor of Philosophy students must take two School of Music advisory examinations: one in music theory and one in music history and literature. These examinations are given on the Friday and Saturday preceding the opening of classes.

Ensemble Participation

Students in the performance and pedagogy tracks of all graduate programs are required to complete four semesters of major ensemble participation. They normally enroll in major ensemble participation during consecutive semesters beginning early in their degree work, to ensure completion of the major ensemble requirements in a timely manner. Ensemble assignments are made at the discretion of the major teacher and ensemble director.

Major ensembles are as follows.

MUS:1176Women's Chorale1
MUS:3160Symphony Band/Concert Band1
MUS:3172Camerata Singers1
MUS:3174University Choir1

Keyboard majors may substitute piano accompaniment for major ensemble participation, at their major applied teacher's discretion. Jazz studies majors substitute MUS:3730 Jazz Band for major ensemble participation. Theory, composition, music education, and music therapy majors have no major ensemble requirement.

Any student who wants to request adjustment of this requirement must submit a request in writing to a review committee consisting of the major ensemble director(s) involved, the major teacher, and the School of Music associate director for graduate studies.

The Doctor of Philosophy program in music requires a minimum of 72 s.h. of graduate credit. Ph.D. concentration areas include composition, musicology, music education, music theory, and vocal pedagogy and literature. The vocal pedagogy and literature program is designed for students who already have achieved a professional level of musical performance; they are required to audition in their major performance area.

Information about specific admission and curricular requirements for each area is available from the School of Music office.

Ph.D. students in composition, musicology, music theory, and vocal pedagogy and literature must complete the courses required for the M.A. (see the M.A. in music in the Catalog). They also must complete the following course work.

One or more additional music theory course(s) listed in the M.A. requirements
And one of these:
MUS:7950Ph.D. Thesis1-4
MUS:7960Composition Ph.D. Thesisarr.

Proficiency in one or more foreign languages is required for Ph.D. students in composition, musicology, music theory, and music literature. Ph.D. students in music education should contact the School of Music for requirements.

Applicants must audition and/or submit supporting materials in their area of concentration in order to be considered for admission. Information about Graduate College admission and curriculum requirements for each area in the School of Music is available from the school's academic office or on the School of Music website.

For detailed information about Graduate College admission and policies, see the Manual of Rules and Regulations of the Graduate College.

Qualified graduate students are invited to apply for teaching and research assistantships. Inquiries should be directed to the School of Music office.

The Pomerantz Career Center offers multiple resources to help students find internships and jobs.