The minor in urban studies is highly relevant to students interested in addressing emerging and persistent issues of the 21st century, including social justice, climate change, environmental conservation, sustainable development, mobility and access, public health, and economic prosperity—each of which has local, urban, and regional dimensions.

The undergraduate minor in urban studies requires 15 s.h. of coursework taken at the University of Iowa. Students must maintain a g.p.a. of at least 3.00 in work for the minor. Coursework in the minor may not be taken pass/nonpass.

Students earning the Certificate in Urban Studies may choose to complete that certificate or instead decide to earn the minor in urban studies.

The minor in urban studies requires the following coursework.

Core Course

The core course provides an introduction to urban studies, policies, and practices. 

This course:
URP:3001/GEOG:3920Planning Livable Cities3


At least 12 s.h. from these:
PBAF:3560/POLI:3560/RHET:3560/SJUS:3560Public Policy and Persuasion3
PBAF:3570/GHS:3570Poverty Policy3
URP:2020/PBAF:2020Environment and Society: Sustainability, Policy, and Politics3
URP:4170Megacities Seminar (3 s.h. recommended)1-3
URP:4225Applied GIS for Planning and Policy Making3
URP:4245Growth Management3
URP:4253Designing Sustainable and Healthy Cities (3 s.h. recommended)1-3
URP:4256Environmental Policy3
URP:4260Transportation Policy and Planning3
URP:4266Transportation, Urban Form, and Sustainability3
URP:4271Housing Policy3
URP:4273Community Development Through Creative Placemaking3
URP:4280Planning for Disaster Mitigation and Recovery (3 s.h. recommended)2-3
URP:4295Economic Development Policy3
URP:4297Financing Economic Development for Poverty Alleviation3
URP:4752Eight Generation Planning: Envisioning Regenerative Cities3
CRIM:4120Environmental Criminology3

Declaring the Minor

Students may declare the minor in MyUI as soon as they are enrolled in URP:3001 Planning Livable Cities.

Those interested in pursuing the minor must meet with the minor advisor, be briefed on the minor expectations for performance, and complete a plan of study that must be approved by the minor advisor.

For more information, contact the School of Planning and Public Affairs.