Advisory Examinations

Before they register, entering students must take two School of Music advisory examinations: one in music theory and one in music history and literature. These examinations are given on the Friday and Saturday preceding the opening of classes.

Ensemble Participation

Students in the performance and pedagogy tracks of all graduate programs are required to complete four semesters of major ensemble participation. They normally enroll in major ensemble participation during consecutive semesters beginning early in their degree work, to ensure completion of the major ensemble requirements in a timely manner. Ensemble assignments are made at the discretion of the major teacher and ensemble director.

Major ensembles are as follows.

MUS:1176Women's Chorale1
MUS:3160Symphony Band/Concert Band1
MUS:3172Camerata Singers1
MUS:3174University Choir1

Keyboard majors may substitute piano accompaniment for major ensemble participation, at their major applied teacher's discretion. Jazz studies majors substitute MUS:3730 Jazz Band for major ensemble participation. Theory, composition, music education, and music therapy majors have no major ensemble requirement.

Any student who wants to request adjustment of this requirement must submit a request in writing to a review committee consisting of the major ensemble director(s) involved, the major teacher, and the School of Music associate director for graduate studies.

The Master of Fine Arts program in music requires a minimum of 60 s.h. of graduate credit. It is designed for students of superior ability in instrumental or vocal performance. M.F.A. students present at least two full-length recitals or programs and must write a thesis, which is a research paper of moderate length, in MUS:6910 M.F.A. Thesis. The thesis may relate to some or all of the repertoire included on the recitals.

Students may earn a Master of Arts while working toward the Master of Fine Arts, but they must take two separate final examinations.

Applicants must audition and/or submit supporting materials in their area of concentration in order to be considered for admission. Information about Graduate College admission and curriculum requirements for each area in the School of Music is available from the school's academic office or on the School of Music website.

For detailed information about Graduate College admission and policies, see the Manual of Rules and Regulations of the Graduate College.

Qualified graduate students are invited to apply for teaching and research assistantships. Inquiries should be directed to the School of Music office.

The Pomerantz Career Center offers multiple resources to help students find internships and jobs.