The undergraduate minor in Korean studies requires a minimum of 15 s.h., with a minimum of 9 s.h. completed at the University of Iowa. Students must maintain a g.p.a. of at least 2.00 in all courses for the minor and in all UI courses for the minor. Course work in the minor may not be taken pass/nonpass.

A maximum of 6 s.h. in transfer course work may be selected from Ewha Womans University, the University of Seoul, Kyung Hee University, or other universities in South Korea. Prior approval of transfer course work by the Korean program coordinator is required.

Required Courses

One of these:
KORE:1135Korean Language in Culture and Society3
KORE:1500Asian Humanities: Korea3
Two of these:
KORE:3101Third-Year Korean: First Semester3
KORE:3102Third-Year Korean: Second Semester3
KORE:4000Fourth Year Korean: First Semester3
KORE:4001Fourth Year Korean: Second Semester3


Students proficient through upper-level Korean language courses (more advanced than third-year Korean or with a Test of Proficiency in Korean [TOPIK] level of 3 or higher) and who have an approved waiver from the Korean program coordinator may substitute 6 s.h. of other course work from the list below instead of completing the Korean language requirement. 

Students who do not have a waiver must complete a minimum of 3 s.h. in a related area elective. They can select a course from the list below or consult with the Korean program coordinator for approval to take a different elective course. 

Students select 6 s.h. from the following (consult Korean program coordinator for options involving study abroad or waivers).

KORE:1135Korean Language in Culture and Society (if not already taken)3
KORE:1500Asian Humanities: Korea (if not already taken)3
KORE:3070Topics in Korean Studies3
KORE:5102Individual Korean for Advanced Students (with instructor approval)arr.
HIST:1607Civilizations of Asia: Korea3-4
HIST:2687Perspectives on Korea3
HIST:3685Modern Korean History3
Related elective (approval required)3
One or two Big Ten Academic Alliance (BTAA) Korean e-school courses (delivered through video conferencing from other Big Ten institutions)
Study abroad options (see "Study Abroad" below)arr.

Study Abroad

Students may select a maximum of 6 s.h. (one or two courses per year) from courses offered by Ewha Womans University, the University of Seoul, Kyung Hee University, or other universities in South Korea eligible for credit transfer. Consult the Korean program coordinator before undertaking study abroad work.